The World Society for the Protection of Animals seeks a high-energy and entrepreneurial development professional to partner with a new, visionary Executive Director on expanding the US office in New York City. In this position, the Director of Development will have the opportunity to strengthen and build the U.S. fundraising program of the largest international animal welfare organization in the world. WSPA has been growing at a rate of 10%/year for the past ten years, and has an ambitious agenda for continued growth in the years to come. . Opening an office in NYC gives us the opportunity to dramatically increase the presence, profile and fundraising in the US.
The Director of Development will provide leadership in planning and implementing a comprehensive strategy to expand the fundraising efforts. In addition to expanding an existing direct marketing effort, the Director of Development will build a team to generate support from major donors, foundations, corporations and planned giving prospects. As part of a global organization, he/she will work collaboratively with fundraisers in other country offices, as well as with the International fundraising team in London.
The Director of Development will report to the Executive Director of the US office. The 8+ members of the fundraising team will report up to the Director.
• Establish and implement sound fundraising plans, budgets, activities and strategies
• Direct the researching, identification, cultivation and solicitation of foundations and major donors; strategize with the ED and board members regarding donor solicitation and engagement
• Direct and grow the multi-channeled directing marketing efforts
• Develop, implement and manage multi-faceted efforts to raise private funds including foundation and corporate giving, major donor gifts and planned giving,
• Manage the development department and its budget to ensure that appropriate systems and procedures are in place and are implemented
• Develop individual donor strategies and work with staff to implement them
• Guide, support and nurture the staff in the day-to-day operations of the department, ensuring that excellent communications, reporting and correspondence are completed in a creative, persuasive and timely basis
• Collaborate with colleagues in other country offices and liaise with the fundraising team in the international office (in London) to find efficiencies and take advantage of shared learning
• Ensure that all reporting requirements to donors and to the International office are met
• Work with the Finance Department to ensure compliance with restricted grants, cash flow projections, accurate and timely reconciliation of private funds with finance records and monthly reforecasting
• Manage vendor relationships
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
• Successful experience managing a complex and diverse fundraising program
• Personal track record of success across a range of fund raising techniques including individual major gifts, corporate and foundation giving, direct mail, planned giving and special events
• The skill, experience and motivation to guide and support the development activities of the Executive Director and the Board
• Demonstrated experience managing a diverse team; the ability to support, nurture and manage the fundraising staff to ambitious results
• Passion for the mission and values of the organization
• Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically and analytically about donor relationships and relationship management
• Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and word processing skills
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and diverse personalities
• The ability to address broad systemic needs of a diverse development plan
• A high level of personal and professional confidence and sophistication
• Energy, enthusiasm, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit
For more than 30 years, WSPA has brought relief and protection to millions of animals across the world. Today, working in more than 50 countries, WSPA continues to collaborate with local communities, NGOs and governments to change animals’ lives for the better. WSPA also acts for animals at a global level, using the organization’s United Nations consultative status to give animals a voice. If you have the qualifications for this particular role, and share WSPA’s passion for animal welfare, please let us know of your interest by applying.
WSPA offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, retirement, and generous vacation and holiday leave. Salary is commensurate with candidate’s experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter including salary requirements and resume to email@example.com. The job reference code HR-DVMTD must be in the subject line. Applications submitted without salary requirements may not be considered. Position will remain open until filled.
WSPA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.