Location: New York City
The World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) has an ambitious strategy to create a world where animal welfare matters and animal cruelty has ended – and we are seeking talented and passionate individuals to join our team and help us reach this goal. WSPA is the world’s largest international animal welfare organization, and continues to grow. Across our 15 international offices, we are developing programs and launching campaigns that will improve the lives of millions of animals worldwide.
In the U.S., we have opened a new office in New York City, and joining our team is an exciting opportunity to be involved on the ground floor of a stellar team of nonprofit professionals with the backing of an established world-class global organization.
The World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA), one of the world’s largest animal welfare organizations, has an exciting opportunity for a proactive Donor Development Manager.
This is a unique opportunity to help strengthen and build the US fundraising program of an international organization in a new US office in NYC. The Donor Development Manager will cultivate and generate support from mid-level and legacy donor prospects as well as steward donors with existing legacy commitments. In addition to the US development team, he/she will also work collaboratively with fundraisers in other country offices and with the international fundraising team in London.
The Donor Development Manager reports to the Senior Major Gifts Manager and will play a key role in a Development department charged with raising over $6M in 2013 and with an ambitious plan for ongoing growth. He/She will cultivate, steward, and expand the relationships between the organization and its donors at all levels, with a specific focus on gifts ranging from $1,000 - $30,000, as well as develop and implement strategies to expand our legacy giving donor base. Using relationship-building and cultivation skills, the Donor Development Manager will have a significant impact on WSPA’s fundraising activities and help to build the future of a growing global organization.
• Create and implement strategic donor cultivation programs
• Build relationships with individual donors to ensure continued engagement with organization
• Conduct a minimum of 100 annual calls on donors to solicit upgrade and/or legacy gifts
• Maintain ongoing donor stewardship activities leading to upgrade from mid-level to major gift level; identify, cultivate and solicit potential legacy gift donors
• Interpret prospect research results and incorporate into cultivation plans
• Create and update pipeline projecting timing for upgrade to major donor
• Create a legacy giving marketing plan to cultivate and steward ongoing donors and prospects
• Collaborate with donor acquisition and major gift Development staff to ensure progressive movement of donors and reduced attrition
• Add gift information and donor correspondence/contact to database as needed
• Assist in donor cultivation and stewardship events as needed
• Bachelor’s degree with 2+ years of experience in donor development/relations and/or legacy giving
• Proven track record of success in relationship-based fund development
• Excellent interpersonal skills, cheerful outgoing personality and great phone “presence”
• Ability to maintain confidential information.
• Proficiency in Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and web based research skills, and comfortable working with social media networks (Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
• Working knowledge of RasiersEdge preferred
• Strong analytical skills including the ability to analyze and interpret business and financial data and information.
• Strong oral/written communication skills
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Highly organized, able to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
• Proactive, flexible and team player
For more than 30 years, WSPA has brought relief and protection to millions of animals across the world. Today, working in more than 50 countries, WSPA continues to collaborate with local communities, NGOs and governments to change animals’ lives for the better. WSPA also acts for animals at a global level, using the organization’s United Nations consultative status to give animals a voice. If you have the qualifications for this particular role, and share WSPA’s passion for animal welfare, please let us know of your interest by applying.
WSPA offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, retirement, and generous vacation and holiday leave. Salary is commensurate with candidate’s experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter including salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The job reference code HR-DDM must be in the subject line. Applications submitted without salary requirements may not be considered. Position will remain open until filled.
WSPA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.